Licensed to Write

Licensed to Write

Friday, June 6, 2008

Getting copies of my own books



I never thought this would be a problem.
Or, at least, not for what I refer to a “the Archetype book” – The Complete Writers Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes. Back when I was on the writing conference circuit, I would order box after box of these things, usually by letting my editor at Lone Eagle know I needed them. That worked until about 2005 or so, when Lone Eagle, which had previously been sold to IFilm, was sold to a new company.
But by then, I was working full time as a lawyer again, and had stopped going to so many workshops. I was no longer selling the books myself. I had a case or two left from conference days, and occasionally dragged a few along when I spoke locally. And every now and again, someone would decide that paying full price for the book with autograph was better than the steep discount Amazon offers. [I’m flattered!]
But in April, just before the Las Vegas Writers Conference, I discovered (or perhaps was reminded?) at the last minute that I need to bring my own books. And AACK – I only had 11 left. Well, those went quickly.
And then there were none. I mean –I do not even have a copy for myself, other than a manuscript copy. And I am speaking at a few writing venues in the coming months.
Well, I can, of course, just buy it at the store like everyone else. In fact, I could buy a bunch a copies at Amazon for that nice discount. Amazon’s good, but hey – I can get it half price!
If, that is, I just figure out who is selling them days. Seems Lone Eagle keeps getting passed along to bigger and bigger publishers.
My royalties come from a company called Nielson. But apparently that’s a dead end for buying the books.
After four phone calls, and four emails –all to different people and companies, I finally tracked them down. Turns out that Random House now owns Watson-Guptill, who in turns owns the Lone Eagle imprint. Or so they say.
But, the good news is - my books are on the way.
Whew!

No comments: